Thursday, April 30, 2015

Positive : Jay Asher - Final

Since I have finished the book it has taught me many different lessons and explained many different sides of people. I learned that all it takes is one person to make a big difference for someone. In the book the main character Paige has HIV because she received it by the breast milk from her mother. In the beginning of the story it explained that Paige had a best friend named Yasmine since elementary school but things take a little bit of a twist once they get to 7th grade. Yasmine was complaining about a friend having a problem and then Paige brought up how everyone has some sort of "problem" with them. In the text it said "Everybody's got something," I told her. And then I told her that I had something too. I told her I had HIV." After that secret Paige told her "best friend" it changed everything about her 6th & 7th grade year. Yasmine ended up telling people about Paige's disease and then those people told other people which then everyone started saying that she had AIDS. After that the entire school found out about her having AIDS and no one wanted to talk to her so she basically spent the rest of the year alone with no one really to talk to but Amber a girl older than her. But, when 7th grade finally began there was a new student named Mariah. She was the only girl in school that actually new about Paige's disease but still didn't care because she saw Paige as a very nice girl and good friend. Mariah new about her HIV but she didn't mind because what mattered to her was the friendship and that meant everything to Paige. All it takes is one good person to make a big difference because after Mariah started talking to Paige and not caring what anyone else thought people started realizing they made a mistake about judging Paige.


Throughout the book I witness many different sides of Paige. I could tell she was kind, honest, friendly, warmhearted, smart and brave. But if I was given the chance to describe Paige's life in one word it would be strong. Throughout everything she went through with loosing her father and best friend she was still able to be cheerful on the cheerleading team. In the book it states "It is probably not every kid who can say this but I can ; there was at least one day at the start of seventh grade when I sat in algebra class, and was 100 percent fully and completely happy." When I read this I thought after everything she's been through in the summer and at the end of 6th grade she was still able to say that she was happy because of something. I found this to be very strong of her because even through everything she was strong enough to keep fighting through it. In my opinion I find Paige to be one of the strongest girls I've read about because in her life she has been through things that most people may not understand. I feel like if another person went through her same situation they might not have been as strong as Paige was. You should read "Positive by Jay Asher" to see how strong and brave Paige really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment